Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Beauty of Burka


Do you have any traditional clothes from your home country?
Or, have you seen any of your family member wearing a traditional dress/clothe either in regular basis or on occasions?

Burka, (or burqa) is the Islamic traditional dresses worn by some women,  and the burka often covers woman's bodies from her heads to toes except eyes.
However, you might see many different forms, colors or patterns of the "burka", plus it isn't always called burka. (I would like to talk about that later.)

When I first saw women wearing the burka dresses was in Australia.
Some of my schoolmates wore their traditional dresses everyday in school and in public.
I thought that their traditional dresses were very beautiful, and also mysterious.
I never got to see their facial features; I didn't ask them.

I believe that women who wear a dresses to cover their faces and bodies and appearances are
not always forced to do so (perhaps some are), but I think that they respect their traditions of their home countries, and also families.  I am sure there are many more reasons and ideas of the burka tradition.

I found this article:
<link>
Is France right to ban wearing the burka in public? 
 by Mona Eltahawy and Stephanie Street

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/mar/21/debate-on-french-burka-ban

......

I was raised in Japan and I love my traditional dress: kimono
The article makes me concern how the women in the burka ("Muslim women" says in the article)
feel to be told to wear something except burka.
Can France really decide what they should or shouldn't wear in France???

Written, Edited, commented by Yuri

No comments:

Post a Comment