Tuesday, March 8, 2011

This is What I Want To Wear

( The top: Abaya. The bottom: Niqab)

There are actually many different forms of traditional clothes that women wear to cover their heads, faces (sometimes), bodies and appearances.

I have certainly interviewed a man who grew up in Saudi Arabia, and he was kind enough to share his opinions about the Abaya culture in Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries.

I notice that some people from different cultures or countries think that women who wear abayas are "forced" to do so. Is that true?

" It's like more cultural than religious because I don't see any 'bibles' tell women what to wear and what not."


What is the idea of abaya?
"Part of Islam, for example, everybody should be equal. Men wear white clothes which are the same as others. Like, a poor man/woman wears the same as a rich one, or vice versa. I think it's a great idea so people don't ( or can't) really judge on you by what you wear or how you look."

I'm not from Abaya culture,however, I have my traditional dress called kimono. I have heard some complaints such as T-shirt-and-Jeans(skirts)style is much better because it's not as tight/uncomfortable as kimono and so on. Has anybody complain about Abaya dress?  
"No, in my opinion, I haven't heard anybody complained."

Do you see women still wearing abaya 100 years from now? Do you think the style of abaya is going to change in the future?
"Apparently, things are slowly but surely changing. Girls are now putting more colors on their abayas in Saudi Arabia (which I noticed when I visited there last winter). Still, they are wearing dark abayas in town, but things are surely moving forward."

Do you think they would be dressed as people here in California in few years or so?
"I would say..no way! Still far from 'western fashion' such as a tiny shirt and a mini skirt. If girls suddenly begin to wear like 'western' girls, things would go chaos. I don't believe that abaya culture would dissapear that soon like poof! "

I hear some people comment on abaya culture as "strict", "less freedom". 
" I hear that too. 'Oh, burka is very strict! Girls have no freedom in fashion!' like that. Well, those comments are often said by the ones who are not wearing burka/abaya. And I hear some say, 'Muslim is the most strict religion ever!', (I reckon) most of the 'harsh' critics are from other countries or people who don't really know what it is."


Is every single woman wearing abaya or burka in Saudi Arabia?
"Well, some don't wear, or don't have to wear burka/abaya in Saudi Arabia or other places. But the girls are not so revealing. They wear shirts with long sleeves or long skirts that still cover their skin."

Any other reasons why women wear burkas/abayas?
"Girls respect their culture, tradition from their family and country; therefore, they wear burka/abaya. I think their style is very beautiful and I like it."

I have certainly found an article about France trying to ban any religious/traditional wear in France. Eventually, they did. Do you agree with what France did, or any comments on that?
"I know! They actually did it. No traditional clothes shouldn't be banned (in my opinion).
It's like, restricting everyone's freedom. Ok, smoking can be banned because the smoke hurts other people physically. but, any traditional wear, like a man wearing his Jewish hat, an Indian woman's bindi on her forehead, Japanese kimono, cross, abaya, burka and you name it,
wouldn't hurt anybody physically though (personally speaking)."

I had a very interesting and also valuable time with the kind man. There are so many things I never knew, thought of, or heard about in my life; however, by interviewing about this abaya/burka culture, I felt that I got such important, and amazing information which I would love to share with many people all around the world.

Written, edited, interviewed by Yuri
Big thanks to Mr. T to spend your time answering my questions!

2 comments:

  1. I admire the fact that these women respect their religion and family. It shows how beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >Cyber Bullying
    Yes, we agree. The interview makes us want to respect our traditions and cultures from our families and ancestors more.
    Very inspiring to talk to someone from a traditional country, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete